Super Smokers Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
Recipe courtesy of John McLemore
John says: These wings are super Dadgum spicy, so you can tone it down by cutting the black pepper in half and using a mild BBQ sauce. The honey and spices blend well for a unique flavor.
Excerpted from “Dadgum That’s Good” Kickbutt Recipes for Smoking, Grilling, Frying, Boiling and Steaming by John McLemore. Used with permission of Concept, Inc.
Super Smokers Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings Recipe
By August 18, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
Recipe courtesy of John McLemore John says: These wings are super Dadgum spicy, so you can tone it down by cutting the black pepper …
- 2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 5 pounds chicken wings rinsed and dried
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup hot BBQ sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- In a small bowl, mix together the black pepper, onion powder, chili powder, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Place the chicken wings in a large resealable bag. Pour the dry rub into the bag and shake to coat the wings well. Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225°F. Place the wings on the top rack of the smoker; cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Turn wings and cook for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until done.
- While the wings are cooking, mix the honey, BBQ sauce and apple juice together in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until warmed through. Remove the wings from the smoker and place in a disposable aluminum foil pan. Pour the warm sauce over the wings and toss to coat evenly. Return pan to smoker on middle rack and cook wings for another 25 minutes. Remove from the smoker and serve immediately.
- Suggested Wood Chips For Smoking: Apple or Pecan
About the Author: