Summer White Bean Salad
Recipe courtesy of Chef Sally Cameron, AFoodCentricLife.com
“While I’ve made this salad with canned beans in a pinch, there’s no comparison starting with good quality dried Cannellini beans. I order mine from RanchoGordo.com in Napa, California. Soak your beans overnight, and cook them the next day. Serve at room temperature or chilled.”
Photography by Kent Cameron
Summer White Bean Salad Recipe
By September 27, 2012Published:
- Yield: About 6 Servings
Recipe courtesy of Chef Sally Cameron, AFoodCentricLife.com “While I’ve made this salad with canned beans in a pinch, there’s …
- 1 pound dried Cannellini beans
- 7-8 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 1/2 cup carrot diced small
- 1 cup onion diced small
- 2 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 large dried bay leaf
- Kosher or sea salt and black pepper, as needed
- Vinaigrette dressing:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly-squeezed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 large cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 generous tablespoon flat leaf Italian parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh oregano chopped
- Additional good quality extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over salad at serving
- Pick through the beans for any broken pieces or
debris and discard. Place beans in a large container, cover with water, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Add celery, carrot, onion and garlic and cook until vegetables
- When vegetables are soft, pour in beans, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low. Cover the beans and simmer for approximately 2–3 hours. Keep the beans covered by water. When the beans are almost soft, add salt and pepper to season.
when the beans are done, gently strain off the water and allow the beans to cool. Beans can be refrigerated covered at this point for a day or two, or continue with the recipe.
- Finish by making the vinaigrette dressing. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs. Pour dressing over the beans and mix gently so you don’t break up the beans.
- At serving time, add additional salt and pepper if needed, then drizzle with good olive oil.
About the Author: