Spicy Black Beans with Chorizo and Chipotle Crema
Recipe courtesy of Cacique®
Photo courtesy of Cacique®
Spicy Black Beans with Chorizo and Chipotle Crema Recipe
By August 27, 2012Published:
Recipe courtesy of Cacique® Photo courtesy of Cacique®
- 2 packages (20 oz) Cacique® Pork Chorizo or Cacique® Beef Chorizo
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans
- 2 peeled onions 1 halved and 1 chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Serrano chile minced and seeded
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chipotles in adobo chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 package (5 oz) Cacique® Queso Fresco
- crumbled cilantro chopped
- maple syrup
- Place beans in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Let beans soak overnight.
- Drain beans. Return to saucepan. Add onion halves, bay leaf and oregano. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on age of beans). Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Discard onion halves and bay leaf.
- Heat chorizo in heavy large deep nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook until brown, breaking up with back of spoon, 4 to 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to small bowl. Add chopped onion to drippings in skillet. Cook until soft and golden brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, Serrano chile; stir 1 minute. Add beans, 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid and chorizo to onion mixture. Stir to distribute evenly. Simmer over medium-low heat until heated through and flavors are blended, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk Crema, chipotles and lime juice in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt. Transfer beans to large bowl.
- Garnish with chipotle cream, Cacique® Queso Fresco, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of maple syrup (optional) for added sweetness.
About the Author: