Citrus BBQ Trout
Recipe courtesy of Ruby Dee
Many years ago, I lived in my van in Petersburg, Alaska, while I worked at the local cannery. In between fish runs, toward the beginning or end of the season, local fishermen would take pity on us and drop off huge trailers full of locally caught trout. We would gather at tent city and have these enormous feasts waiting for the next salmon run and come up with a thousand ways to prepare the fish we had on hand. I want to thank those fishermen for feeding us and for giving me the impetus to get creative in the kitchen. —Ruby Dee
Excerpted from Ruby’s Juke Joint Americana Cookbook, by Ruby Dee of Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers, ©2012 by Ruby Dee Philippa
Citrus BBQ Trout Recipe
By August 19, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Recipe courtesy of Ruby Dee Many years ago, I lived in my van in Petersburg, Alaska, while I worked at the local cannery. In …
- 4 8-ounce dressed trout
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium orange
- Fresh tarragon sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine orange zest, grapefruit zest, orange juice, grapefruit juice, tarragon, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade for serving. Place trout in a shallow baking dish. Pour marinade over fish, opening and turning it to make sure the marinade covers every surface. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain and reserve marinade for cooking.
- Place trout in an oil-brushed grill basket or piece of aluminum foil. Arrange citrus slices and tarragon sprigs inside the fish.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 5–6 minutes. Turn fish over. Brush with marinade and grill for another 5–6 minutes until trout flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with reserved marinade poured over the top alongside roasted potatoes and fresh slices of watermelon.
About the Author: