Beef, Mushroom and Pepper Shish Kebabs
From Albert and Gnat’s book “Bite Me”—BITE ME BIT: “If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?” Tom Snyder, TV talk show host Forget tannins, lees and acidity. Try sniffing and swigging Manischewitz wine, our One and Only, the perfect blend of Concord grapes and corn syrup. Yes, corn syrup. Don’t stick your noses in the air, you oenophiles out there—consider the magic this superior kosher wine can perform. Chunks of beef, crisp peppers and meaty mushrooms are marinated in a syrupy Manischewitz sauce and grilled to sweet-crusted, tender perfection.
Recipe & Photo from Bite Me: A Stomach-Satisfying, Visually Gratifying, Fresh-Mouthed Cookbook
Beef, Mushroom and Pepper Shish Kebabs Recipe
By August 12, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
From Albert and Gnat’s book “Bite Me”—BITE ME BIT: “If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of …
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup Minischewitz wine (sweet kosher wine)
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and cut in half
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms left whole, stems trimmed
- In a medium bowl, whisk ketchup, wine, brown sugar and pepper. Pour 1¼ cups marinade into large resealable plastic bag and add garlic halves, beef cubes, red peppers, yellow peppers, green peppers and mushrooms to marinade. Seal bag, turn to coat and refrigerate at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours. Refrigerate remaining marinade to use for basting at the end of cooking.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Remove meat and vegetables from plastic bag and discard marinade. Thread beef onto reusable metal skewers. Thread peppers and mushrooms on separate skewers from the beef to ensure even cooking.
- Grill kebabs for 8–10 minutes, turning one-quarter rotation every 2–3 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender-crisp. In the final 2 minutes of cooking time, baste all sides of beef and vegetable kebabs with reserved marinade. Remove beef and vegetables from skewers and toss with extra marinade.
About the Author: